As I celebrate my 50th birthday this week, on this episode I feature the Superman stories that were published the month I was born: September, 1960! Thanks to MIKE’S AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS for being an invaluable resource for this episode, as always!
DC published 27 titles during the month of September 1960, five of them Superman titles. They carried the cover date of November or November / December 1960, and a few carried the cover date of December 1960. All of the Superman titles that were published this month carried the November 1960 cover date.
– WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 113: published on September 6, 1960 and edited by Jack Schiff. The cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. It featured the Superman / Batman story, BAT-MITE MEETS MR. MXYZPTLK, written by Jerry Coleman, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Sheldon Moldoff. This story was reprinted in BATMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES, WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES vol. III and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. II. (I may have mistakenly said vol. III. That’s what I had written in my notes.)
The remaining Superman related titles were edited by Mort Weisinger.
– SUPERMAN 141: published on September 15, 1960. The cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. SUPERMAN’S RETURN TO KRYPTON was written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. It was reprinted in SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES, SUPERMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
– SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 21 was published on September 22, 1960. The cover featured the second story in the issue, and was pencilled by Curt Swan and Kurt Schaffenberger (who inked Lois Lane and maybe Lana Lang). the rest of the cover was inked by Stan Kaye. THE LOIS LANE DOLL was written by Edmond Hamilton and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. It was reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE BOTTLE CITY OF KANDOR. THE BATTLE BETWEEN SUPER LOIS AND SUPER LANA was drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. The writer credit was unknown. It was only reprinted in 80 PAGE GIANT #3, with the cover date of September 1964.
I was disappointed to learn that no Superman titles were published on my birthday of September 27, 1960. The final two Superman related titles were published on September 29, 1960.
– ACTION COMICS 270: The cover was drawn by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. THE OLD MAN OF METROPOLIS was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte. It was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I. SUPERGIRL’S BUSIEST DAY was written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
– ADVENTURE COMICS 278: The cover was drawn by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. SUPERGIRL IN SMALLVILLE was written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. It was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Next Episode: HOW CLARK KENT MET LOIS LANE!
Join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups on facebook, and follow the podcast and blogs on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about this blog to email@example.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.