SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 11, March 1956, was published around January 12, 1956. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley. They were the art team for all three 8 page stories in this issue, which were written by Otto Binder. The stories in this issue have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. I.
– SUPERMAN’S SEEING EYE DOG!
– JIMMY OLSEN, CLARK KENT’S PAL!
– T.N.T. OLSEN, THE CHAMP! which was featured on the cover.
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 81, March/April 1956, was published around January 31, 1956. It contained 32 pages and also sold for a dime. The editor was Jack Schiff, and the cover was drawn by Win Mortimer.
– The Superman and Batman story for this issue was THE TRUE HISTORY OF SUPERMAN AND BATMAN, written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This 12 page story was reprinted in BATMAN IN THE FIFTIES and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
– Green Arrow starred in the second, 6 page story, THE G. A. GOES G. I., drawn by George Papp.
– Tomahawk starred in the final t page story of the issue, THE FRONTIER INFORMER, drawn by Fred Ray.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the March or March/April 1956 cover date, including SUPERBOY 47, which was published around January 5, 1956. The cover featured the third story of the issue, SUPERBOY MEETS SUPERMAN. The cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. The 8 page story was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Fischetti. It has only been reprinted in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #4, 1962, published around November 9,1961, and SUPER-TEAM FAMILY #5, February/March 1976.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1959: SUPERMAN 129 & ACTION COMICS 252, in what will be the 200th individual episode of this podcasts, thanks to the first episode being Episode 0 and some multi-part episodes in the past.
In 2 weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED APRIL 1956: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 12!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to email@example.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.