Because I began this podcast with an episode 0, and have had a number of multi-part episodes, this is actually the 200th individual episode! Thank you for your continued support!
SUPERMAN 129, May 1959, was published around March 19, 1959. It contained 32 pages and sold for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three stories in this issue were reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I.
– THE GHOST OF LOIS LANE (9 pgs.), featured on the cover, was written by Jerry Coleman, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.
– CLARK KENT FIREMAN OF STEEL! (7 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE GIRL IN SUPERMAN’S PAST, subtitled AN UNTOLD TALE OF SUPERMAN (3RD in the series) (10 pgs.), written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES and THE GREATEST SUPERMAN STORIES EVER TOLD (which is where I first read this story).
ACTION COMICS 252, May 1959, was published around March 31, 1959. It contained 32 pages fore the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. This issue was reprinted in its entirety in DC SILVER AGE CLASSICS 1 and MILLENNIUM EDITION 32. These stories were also reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I.
– THE MENACE OF METALLO (13 pgs.), written by Robert Bernstein and drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE SUPERGIRL FROM KRYPTON (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. Along with the previously mentioned reprint editions, this story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN IN THE FIFTIES, SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 32 titles carried the May or May/June 1959 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED APRIL 1956: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 12!
In 2 weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1959: ACTION COMICS 253!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to email@example.com.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.