ACTION COMICS 253, June 1959, was published on April 30, 1959. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– THE WAR BETWEEN SUPERMAN AND JIMMY OLSEN (12 pgs.), written by Alvin Schwartz, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story has been reprinted in SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF TOMORROW ARCHIVE vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. I.
– THE SECRET OF THE SUPER ORPHAN (8 pgs.), written by Otto Binder and drawn by Jim Mooney. They would be the primary creative team for Supergirl’s stories for the first decade of her career. This story has been reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
– THE DESTROYER OF CONGO BILL (7 pgs.), written by Jack Miller and drawn by Howard Sherman. This was Congo Bill’s sixth appearance as Congorilla.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 31 titles carried the June or June/July 1959 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MAY 1956: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 82!
In 2 weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY 1959: SUPERMAN 130 & ACTION COMICS 254!
Go to http://supergirlpodcast.wordpress.com to keep updated on a new podcast featuring the Girl of Steel, coming in August!
Also, if you know the original publication information for a Superman story involving his alien zoo at his Fortress of Solitude, reprinted in the 1970 SUPERMAN BUMPER BOOK, a UK Superman hardcover anthology, post it in comments or through the contact information below.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and MY PULL LIST groups or pages on facebook, and follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://www.supermanpodcastnetwork.com/ !
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is at http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to email@example.com.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
MY PULL LIST is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.