SUPERMAN 138, July 1960, was published on May 5, 2012. It contained 32 pages for 10¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. This cover was also used as the cover for SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II, which has reprinted all three stories in this issue.
– TITANO THE SUPER APE (10 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was also reprinted in DC GOES APE vol. I. and was a sequel to the first Titano story of the same title in SUPERMAN 127, covered in Episode 182.
– SUPERMAN’S BLACK MAGIC (7 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE MERMAID FROM ATLANTIS (9 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye.
ACTION COMICS 266, July 1960, was published on May 31, 1960. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
The Superman story for this issue was titled THE CAPTIVE OF THE AMAZONS (13 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. II.
Supergirl starred in the 13 page story, THE WORLD’S MIGHTIEST CAT, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. I and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
With the stories covered in this episode, Jerry Siegel has written 16 silver age stories for ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN, and 33 overall for DC Comics during this era.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 26 titles carried the July or July/August 1960 cover date.
Next Episode: MEGACON 2012 PREVIEW! Followed by a number of episodes about the convention, including interviews and panel discussions!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1957: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 21!
In 3 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED AUGUST 1960: SUPERMAN 139 & ACTION COMICS 267!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday athttp://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!