SHOWCASE 9, July/August 1957, was published around May 23, 1957. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was drawn by Al Plastino. All three stories in this issue were 8 pages long.
– THE GIRL IN SUPERMAN’S PAST, written by Jerry Coleman and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was reprinted in THE GREATEST 1950’S STORIES EVER TOLD, ESSENTIAL SHOWCASE: 1956 – 1959, MILLENNIUM EDITION 56, SUPERMAN IN THE FIFTIES and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. I. (This story was the first appearance of the adult Lana Lang in a silver age story, but she first appeared in THE GIRLS IN SUPERMAN’S LIFE, published in SUPERMAN 78, September/October 1952.)
– THE NEW LOIS LANE, written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Ruben Moriera and inked by Al Plastino. This story has been reprinted in ESSENTIAL SHOWCASE: 1956 – 1959, MILLENNIUM EDITION 56 and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. I.
– MRS. SUPERMAN, written by Otto Binder and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was reprinted in ESSENTIAL SHOWCASE: 1956 – 1959, MILLENNIUM EDITION 56 and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. I.
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 89, July/ August 1957, was published around May 30, 1957. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– The 12 page Superman and Batman story was titled, THE CLUB OF HEROES, written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in WORLD’S FINEST ARCHIVE vol. II, BATMAN: THE BLACK CASEBOOK and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
– THE LEGEND OF THE KEEPER OF THE WINDS (6 pgs.), was drawn by Jim McArdle.
– Green Arrow starred in the 6 page story, THE STRANGE CIRCUS OF MR. SINESTRO, drawn by George Papp.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 33 titles carried the July or July/August 1957 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN ANNUAL 1!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED AUGUST 1957: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 22!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!