SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 27, March 1958, was published around January 16, 1958. It contained 32 pages for 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three 8 page stories were done by the same creative team, writer Otto Binder, penciller Curt Swan and inker Ray Burnley. They were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
– THE BOY FROM MARS
– A DATE WITH MISS METROPOLIS
– THE OUTLAW JIMMY OLSEN, which was featured on the cover.
SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 1, March/April 1958, was published on January 14, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three 8 page stories were drawn by Kurt Schaffenber (featured way back in Episode 5), and have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
– THE BOMBSHELL OF THE BOULEVARDS, written by Leo Dorfman, was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 67, which was the issue in which I first read this story as a boy in the mid-1960’s.
– LOIS LANE, SUPER CHEF, written by Otto Binder.
– THE WITCH OF METROPOLIS, written by Otto Binder, was also reprinted in SUPERMAN ANNUAL 1 and SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 77 (which was an 80 page giant, reprinting past Lois Lane stories).
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 93, March/April 1958, was published around January 28, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Jack Schiff was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
The 12 page Superman/Batman story was THE BOSS OF SUPERMAN & BATMAN, written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. It was reprinted in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVE vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
Green Arrow starred in the 6 page story, RAID OF THE VULTURE MAN, drawn by George Papp.
Tomahawk starred in the 6 page story, THE MILITIA WITHOUT MUSKETS, also drawn by George Papp.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 36 titles carried the March or March/April 1958 cover date.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1961: ACTION COMICS 274!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED APRIL 1958: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 28!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!