SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 32, October 1958, was published around August 21, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. The art team for all three stories was penciller Curt Swan and inker Ray Burnley, and the stories themselves have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
– THE SUPER NOSE FOR NEWS (8 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder, and was also reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 2, September 1964, published around July 2, 1964.
– THE ROCK ‘N’ ROLL SUPERMAN (8 pgs.), was also written by Otto Binder.
– THE JIMMY OLSEN FROM JUPITER (10 pgs.), was written by Alvin Schwartz and was featured on the cover of this issue. This story was also reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 2, as well as THE GREATEST 1950’S STORIES EVER TOLD and SUPERMAN: THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN.
Also highlighted in this episode is what I believe is the first Jimmy Olsen letter page, JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS.
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 97, October 1958, was published around August 26, 1958. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Jack Schiff, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
– The 12 page Superman/Batman story was titled, THE DAY SUPERMAN BETRAYED BATMAN, written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. It was also reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 5, October 1965, published around August 19, 1965, as well as WORLD’S FINEST COMICS ARCHIVES vol II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
– Tomahawk starred in the issue’s second 6 page story titled, THE STRANGE JOURNAL OF OLD BLUE JAY, written by Dave Wood and drawn by Fred Ray.
– Green Arrow starred in the issue’s final 6 page story titled, THE MENACE OF THE MECHANICAL OCTOPUS, written by Ed Herron, pencilled by Jack Kirby and inked by Roz Kirby.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 39 titles carried the October or October/November 1958 cover date. These titles were covered back in Episode 174, April 13, 2011. If you would like to explore these issues for yourself, you can go to the web page at Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED SEPTEMBER 1961: ACTION COMICS 280!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN 2012: YEAR IN REVIEW!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!