ACTION COMICS 280, September 1961, was published around July 27, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, who were the art team for the Superman story in this issue.
– BRAINIAC’S SUPER REVENGE (13 pgs.), was written by Jerry Siegel, and was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III, continuing the story published in ACTION COMICS 275 (covered in Episode 240. This story was Siegel’s 32nd silver age Superman story, and his 81st overall for this era. Previously he wrote JIMMY OLSEN’S KOOKIE SCOOPS for ADVENTURE COMICS 287, August 1961, which was pencilled by John Forte and inked by George Klein. Siegel also wrote SUPERBOY’S CIVIL WAR TIME TRIP for SUPERBOY 91, September 1961, which was drawn by George Papp.
– The 12 page Supergirl story was titled TRAPPED IN KANDOR, also written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was reprinted in SUPERGIRL ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I. It was Siegel’s 50th silver age Superman Family story and his 82nd overall in this era. This story is the third part of a Supergirl saga that began in ACTION COMICS 278 and was continued in issue 279. A caption in the story’s final panel stated that the story would conclude in the next issue.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 28 titles carried the September or September/October 1961 cover date, according to MIKE’S AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the METROPOLIS MAILBAG!
Next Episode: SUPERMAN 2012: YEAR IN REVIEW!
In 2 weeks, for the first episode in 2013: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1958: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 5!
May all of you have a fun and safe MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!