SUPERMAN 148, October 1961, was published on August 3, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. All three stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
– THE 20TH CENTURY ACHILLES (9 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– SUPERMAN OWES A BILLION DOLLARS (8 pgs.), written by Robert Bernstein, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff.
– MR. MXYZPTLK’S SUPER MISCHIEF (8 pgs.), featured on the cover, written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff. This story was Jerry Siegel’s 33rd silver age Superman story, and his 8th story overall for this era. Before this story he wrote two stories for ADVENTURE COMICS 288, September 1961: THE KNAVE FROM KRYPTON, drawn by George Papp, and BIZARRO’S SECRET IDENTITY, drawn by John Forte.
ACTION COMICS 281, October 1961, was published around august 31, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff.
– The 12 page Superman story was titled THE MAN WHO SAVED KA;-EL’S LIFE, written by Robert Bernstein and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
– The 12 page Supergirl story was titled THE SECRET OF THE TIME BARRIER, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was Siegel’s 55th silver age Superman Family story, and his 88th overall. Previously, Siegel wrote two stories for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 56, October 1961: THE SON OF JIMMY OLSEN (featured on the cover), drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, and THE JINX OF METROPOLIS, drawn by John Forte.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 27 titles carried the October or October/November 1961 cover date, thanks to MIKE’S AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED DECEMBER 1958: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 33 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 98!
In 2 Weeks: BOOK REVIEW: SUPERMAN BY LARRY TYE!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each
Tuesday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Clockwork Comics is the home website for amazing web comics and e-books!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!