Download Episode #276!
SUPERMAN 153, May 1962, was published around March 15, 1962. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. It featured the issue’s third and final story on the cover. All three stories have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
– THE DAY SUPERMAN BROKE THE LAW (8 pgs.), written by Bill Finger and drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE SECRET OF THE SUPERMAN STAMP (9 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– THE TOWN OF SUPERMEN (9 pgs.), was written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics. The Grand Comic Book Database. as well as SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III, credits Jerry Siegel as the writer and John Forte as the artist. I don’t know which credit is right for the writer, but judging by the art style, I would lean toward John Forte as the story’s artist. Superman and Lois don’t resemble Curt Swan’s and George Klein’s art styles. If Jerry Siegel wrote this story, it was his 40th Superman story in the silver age, and his 107th for overall for this era.
ACTION COMICS 288, May 1962, was published on March 29, 1962. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein, who were also the art team for the Superman story in this issue..
– The 13 page Superman story was titled THE MAN WHO EXPOSED SUPERMAN, for which there is no writer credit.
– The 12 page Supergirl story was titled THE MAN WHO MAKE SUPERGIRL CRY, written by Leo Dorfman and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was also reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. II.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 29 titles carried the May or May/June 1962 cover date. The first two episodes of Mike’s Amazing World Of DC History are available to listen to, exploring the very first comic books published by the company that became known as DC Comics. It is one of the family of podcasts at Two True Freaks.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JUNE 1959: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 37 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 102!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1962: ACTION COMICS 289!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!