ACTION COMICS 299, April 1963, was published on February 28, 1963. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. It featured the Supergirl story in the back of the issue, and was her 9th appearance on the cover of ACTION, and 10th including her solo appearance on the cover of Superman (I misspoke and said that it was her 14th cover appearance, misreading my checklist).
– The 13 page Superman story in this issue was titled, THE STORY OF SUPERMAN’S EXPERIMENTAL ROBOTS, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Al Plastino. This story has also been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. IV. It was also Siegel’s 45th silver age Superman story, and his 137th overall for the era. Previously he wrote, THE HELMET OF HATE for SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 68, April 1963, which was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– The 12 page Supergirl story was titled, THE FANTASTIC SECRET OF SUPERBABY II, written by Leo Dorfman and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was also reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. II.
Also highlighted in this episode are the ads and other features in this issue, including the METROPOLIS MAILBAG letter column!
The next two episodes will feature the Superman Family comic books cover dated July 1960, Part I: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 18, and Part II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 48!
Then we will return to the Superman comic books cover dated May 1963, Part I: SUPERMAN 161, and Part II: ACTION COMICS 300!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
–The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
– COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!