SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 51, March 1961, was published around January 5, 1961. It contained 32 pages, STILL for the cover price of 10¢ (which meant that it wouldn’t be for much longer). The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. It featured the issue’s second of the issue’s three stories. All three stories in this issue have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. IV.
– JIMMY OLSEN’S 100TH SCOOP (9 pgs.), written by Robert Bernstein, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte.
– THE GIRL WITH GREEN HAIR (9 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of Comics and the Grand Comic Book Database, while the Comic Book Database credits George Klein as the inker. This story was also reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERGIRL vol. I.
– THE DREAM DETECTIVE (8 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database listed Robert Bernstein as the author. The Comic Book Database had no creator credits for this story.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1961 PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 116!
Featured next will be: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED FEBRUARY 1964: PART I: SUPERMAN 167 & PART II: ACTION COMICS 309!
We will return to the Superman Family titles with: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED APRIL 1961: PART I: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 24 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 52!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!