Download Episode 329 Part I!
SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 53, June 1961, was published on April 16, 1961. It contained 32 pages STILL for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. It featured the issue’s second story. All three stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. IV.
– THE BOY IN THE BOTTLE (9 pgs.), was written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye. This was the 61st silver age Superman Family Siegel story covered on this podcast, and his 102nd overall for the silver age.
– THE GIANT TURTLE MAN (8 pgs.), was written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte. This was Jerry’s 62nd silver age Superman Family story covered in an episode of this podcast, and his 103rd overall for the silver age. The story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 104, August/September 1967, published on June 13, 1967. It was an 80 Page Giant with a cover price of a quarter. It was also reprinted in, SUPERMAN IN THE SIXTIES and SUPERMAN: THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN.
– THE BLACK MAGICIAN (8 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel as the author of this story. Since there is some disagreement about the writer credit for this story, I will not count it toward Jerry Siegel’s silver age comic book production.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
At the beginning of the episode I finally review ACTION COMICS 41, August 2015, which was released on June 3, 2015.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1961 PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 118!
Then we will feature: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1964! PART I: SUPERMAN 169 & PART II: ACTION COMICS 312!
After that we return to: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JULY 1961: PART I: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 26 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 54!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!