SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 26, July 1961, was published on May 11, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of STILL 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by John Forte (whose last name is pronounced “Fort” with the “e” silent), featuring the issue’s first story. All three stories were drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger, and have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. IV.
– THE DAY SUPERMAN MARRIED LANA LANG (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel. The comicbookdatabase.com lists Jerry Siegel as the unconfirmed writer of this story. Because there is some disagreement on the writer credit, we are not adding this story to Jerry Siegel’s silver age comic book production. This story was also reprinted in 80 PG. GIANT 3, featuring LOIS LANE, September 1964 and published around July 23, 1964, with the cover price of a quarter.
– LOIS LANE’S CHILDHOOD (8 pgs.), writer unknown, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and the comicbookdatabase.com, while the Grand Comic Book Database lists Jerry Siegel as the writer, Again, because there is no agreement on the writer credit, we will not count this story toward Siegel’s silver age story total. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 85, August 1968, published around June 25, 1968, containing 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢.
– THE MAD WOMAN OF METROPOLIS (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database and comicbookdatabase.com credits not Jerry Siegel this time, but Robert Bernstein. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 77 (G-39), September/October 1967, published on June 29, 1967. It was an 80 pg. Giant for the cover price of a quarter.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the LETTERS TO LOIS column.
– SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JULY 1961 PART II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 54!
– SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED JUNE 1964: ACTION COMICS 313!
– SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED AUGUST 1961: PART I: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 119 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 27!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!