SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 27, August 1961, was published around June 27, 1961. It contained 32 pages still for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Sheldon Moldoff, featuring the issue’s first of three stories.
– LOIS LANE’S SUPER-BRAIN (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database and ComicBookDatabase.com credit Robert Bernstein. Kurt Schaffenberger was the artist, and the story was reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 95, September/October 1969, published on July 8, 1969, a 64-Pg. Giant for the cover price of a quarter.
– THE BATTLE OF THE SISTERS (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel. The penciller was Curt Swan and the inker was Stan Kaye. Since there is some disagreement with the writer credit, we will not count this story towards Jerry Siegel’s silver age comic book production. This story has not been reprinted.
– THE LAST DAYS OF LOIS LANE (8 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database credits Robert Bernstein. The artist was Kurt Schaffenberger. This story was reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 84, July 1965, published on May 14, 1968 with the cover price of 12¢.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the LETTERS TO LOIS column.
For some background on the monster-of-the-month plot common in BATMAN and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS during Jack Schiff’s run as editor, click here.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 31 titles carried the August or August/September 1961 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics. They were previously covered at the end of Episode 250, for the week of December 5, 2012.
Next Episodes: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED SEPTEMBER 1961: PART I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 55 & PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 120!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!