SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 57, December 1961, published around October 5, 1961, contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. This was the first issue of the series at this new higher price. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and the Grand Comic Book Database. Comic Book Database lists John Forte and Curt Swan as the cover artists, without designating which one was the penciller and who was the inker. This cover featured the issue’s first story.
– JIMMY OLSEN MARRIES SUPERGIRL (17 pgs., Part I: 8 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and the Grand Comic Book Database. The Comic Book Database credits George Klein as the inker. This was Jerry Siegel’s 65th silver age Superman Family story, and his 110th overall for the era. The two part story was reprinted in ACTION COMICS 351 & 352, June and July 1967 respectively. It was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FAMILY 181, December 1978/January 1979 and DC’S GREATEST IMAGINARY STORIES.
– Part II: JIMMY OLSEN’S TWO BRIDES (9 pgs.).
– THE DOOMED REPORTER (9 pgs.), writer unknown, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED DECEMBER 1961 PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 122!
Then we will cover: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JANUARY 1962: PART I: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 30 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 58!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!