SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 59, March 1962, was published on January 4, 1962. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. The circulation for this issue was 520,000 copies, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics.
– STRANDED IN EVOLUTION VALLEY (8 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by John Forte. this was Siegel’s 67th silver age Superman Family story we’ve covered on the podcast so far, and his 112th overall for the era.
– JIMMY OLSEN IN SCOTLAND YARD (9 pgs.), written by Leo Dorfman, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN FAMILY 165 (which continued the numbering of the JIMMY OLSEN title), the June/July 1974 issue, published on March 26, 1974. It contained 100 pages for the cover price of 60¢.
– JIMMY OLSEN, FREAK (9 pgs.), written by Leo Dorfman, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 122, August/September 1969, published on June 19, 1969. It was a 64-Page Giant for the cover price of 25¢. This story was also collected in SUPERMAN: THE STRANGE TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN, published in 2002.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1962 PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 124!
Then we will cover: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED APRIL 1962: PART I: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 31 (I mistakenly said issue 32 during the episode) & PART II: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 60!
The Superman Fan Podcast is now available on Stitcher, for your smart phone, tablet or computer.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!