With our coverage of MegaCon 2016 over, we step back to finish our look at the Superman Family comic books cover dated May 1962, this time featuring SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 33. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. It featured the issue’s first story.
– THE PHANTOM LOIS LANE (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics. The Grand Comic Book Database lists Jerry Siegel? as the possible writer. Since there is some disagreement with the writer credit, we won’t credit it towards Siegel’s silver age production. The story was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein, and was reprinted in SUPERMAN: TALES FROM THE PHANTOM ZONE.
– THE CANDID CAMERA KID (8 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, while the Grand Comic Book Database lists Jerry Coleman (?) as the possible writer. The artist was Kurt Schaffenberger.
– LOIS LANE, SLAVE GIRL (9 pgs.), writer unknown according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics. The Grand Comic Book Database and Comic Book Database.com credit Robert Bernstein as the writer. The artist was Kurt Schaffenberger. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 95, September/October 1969, published on July 8, 1969. It was a 64 Pg. Giant for the cover price of 25¢.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the LETTERS TO LOIS COLUMN.
This episode begins with the monthly MY PULL LIST segment, where I review the June 2016 comic books, published in April, from the Discount Comic Book Service.
Elsewhere in DC Comics, 29 titles carried the May or May/June 1962 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of Comics. They were covered at the end of Episode 276, for the week of Wednesday, August 7, 2013.
Next: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED JUNE 1962: PART I: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 61 & PART II: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 126!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on Tumblr, Medium, Flipboard, the Internet Archive and Stitcher.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!