SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 68, April 1963, was published on February 21, 1963 (on my Grandmother’s 53rd birthday). It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan, inked by George Klein and lettered by Ira Schnapp. It featured the issue’s third and final story.
– THE HUMAN METAL EATER (8 pgs.), written by Leo Dorfman, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics and the Grand Comic Book Database. The Comic Book Database credits Jerry Siegel as the writer. Since there is some disagreement about the writer credit I won’t count this story toward Siegel’s silver age production. John Forte was the artist.
– THE RICHEST BOY IN METROPOLIS (9 pgs.), written by Leo Dorfman, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– THE HELMET OF HATE (8 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This was his 72nd silver age Superman Family story, and his 117th overall for the era. This story was also reprinted in SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 113, August/ September 1968, published on June 11, 1958. It was an 80-Pg. Giant for the cover price of a quarter.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
Elsewhere in DC Comics 29 titles carried the April or April/May 1963 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics. They were covered at the end of Episode 304 Part II for the week of Wednesday, October 22, 2014.
Next Episodes: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MAY 1963: PART I: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 133 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 41!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on Tumblr, Medium, Flipboard, the Internet Archive and Stitcher.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!