SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 72, October 1962, was published on August 15, 1963. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan, inked by George Klein and lettered by Ira Schnapp. It featured the issue’s first of three stories.
– THE WORLD OF DOOMED OLSENS (9 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This was Siegel’s 74th silver age Superman Family story, and his 119th overall. This story has been reprinted a number of times: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 140, August/September 1971, published on June 3, 1971. It contained 64 pages for the cover price of 35¢; ADVENTURE COMICS 500, June 1983, published on March 3, 1983. It contained 144 pages for the cover price of $1.75; LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ARCHIVE vol. II; SHOWCASE PRESENTS: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES vol. I; SUPERMAN: THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN (which was where I first read this story). For different perspectives on this story, listen to Episode 22 of the LEGION OF SUBSTITUTE PODCASTERS for the week of March 9, 2009 and Episode 38 of the podcast SUPER FUTURE FRIENDS for the week of April 6, 2013.
– THE SUPER-TEST OF JIMMY OLSEN (8 pgs.), writer unknown, drawn by John Forte.
– THE SECRET OF MONSTER ISLAND (8 pgs.), writer unknown, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
Also highlighted in this episode are the issue’s ads and other features, including the JIMMY OLSEN’S PEN PALS letter column.
Next Episodes: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED NOVEMBER 1963: PART I: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 137 & PART II: SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE 45!
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST Group or Page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast. You can also keep track of the podcast on Tumblr, Medium, Flipboard, the Internet Archive and Stitcher.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of the following:
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK!
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!
And don’t forget to take care of each other out there!