SUPERMAN 151, February 1962, was published around December 19, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. According to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics, its circulation was 820,000. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. All three stories were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN vol. III.
– THE THREE TOUGH TEEN-AGERS (9 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Al Plastino. This story was Siegel’s 37th silver age Superman story, and his 96th overall for the era. Previously, he wrote BIZARRO CREATES A MONSTER, in ADVENTURE COMICS 292, January 1962, pencilled by John Forte and inked by George Klein.
– THE MAN WHO TRAINED SUPERMAN (9 pgs.),written by Robert Bernstein, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– SUPERMAN’S GREATEST SECRET (8 pgs.), written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This story was Siegel’s 38th silver age Superman story, and his 97th overall for the era.
ACTION COMICS 285, February 1962, was published December 28, 1961. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 12¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein. This was Supergirl’s 9th cover appearance for this title. At this point she has also made one appearance on the cover of SUPERMAN.
– THE WORLD’S GREATEST HEROINE (the title of the entire story, as well as the 12 page part I.) It was written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Jim Mooney. This story was Siegel’s 61st silver age Superman Family story, and his 98th overall for the era.
– THE INFINITE MONSTER (12 pgs. Part II)
Elsewhere in DC Comics 29 titles carried the February or February/March 1962 cover date, according to Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics.
I also share what I picked up from Free Comic Book Day, as well as a letter that was printed by DC Comics on the inside front cover of all of its titles which carried the February cover date. That almost apologetic letter was an explanation of the reasons DC Comics raised its cover price from a dime to 12¢.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED MARCH 1959: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 35 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 100!
In 2 Weeks: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK COVER DATED MARCH 1962: ACTION COMICS 286!
In 3 Weeks: METROPOLIS, HERE WE COME!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!