After highlighting my FREE COMIC BOOK DAY last Saturday, and reviewing the AVENGERS movie I saw on Tuesday, I featured the following issues in this episode:
SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 23, September 1957, published around July 16, 1957. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime. Mort Weisinger was the editor, and the cover was pencilled by Curt swan and inked by Ray Burnley. They were the art team for all three 8 page stories, which were all written by Otto Binder. These stories have been reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
– JIMMY OLSEN’S SUPER PALS
– JIMMY OLSEN, THE BEARDED BOY
– THE ADVENTURES OF PRIVATE OLSEN (featured on the cover)
SHOWCASE 10, September/October 1957, was published around July 18, 1957. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of 10¢. Mort Weisinger was the editor. The cover was pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye, the art team for all three 8 page stories. They were reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. II.
– THE JILTING OF SUPERMAN was written by Otto Binder.
– THE SIGHTLESS LOIS LANE was written by Jerry Coleman.
– THE FORBIDDEN BOX FROM KRYPTON (featured on the cover) was written by Otto Binder.
The first issue of SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE would premiere with the March/April 1958 issue, published around January 14, 1958.
WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 90, September/October 1957, was published around July 30, 1957. It contained 32 pages for the cover price of a dime, and Jack Schiff was the editor. Curt Swan pencilled the cover, which was inked by Ray Burnley.
– The 12 page Superman/Batman story was titled, THE SUPER-BATWOMAN, written by Edmond Hamilton, pencilled by Dick Sprang and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was reprinted in WORLD’S FINEST ARCHIVES vol. II and SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WORLD’S FINEST vol. I.
The final two 6 page stories starred the following characters:
– Green Arrow in, THE AMAZING ARCHER FROM MARS, drawn by George Papp.
– Tomahawk in, THE RIDDLE OF THE MYSTERY TRACKER, drawn by Fred Ray.
If you would prefer that I split up these Superman Family episodes when I begin covering SUPERMAN’S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE, let me know by sending an e-mail to the address listed at the end of these show notes.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED OCTOBER 1960: SUPERMAN 140 & ACTION COMICS 269!
In 2 weeks: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOK COVER DATED OCTOBER 1957: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 24!
Check out SLIPSTREAM, the weekly web comic book I’m drawing and lettering, which is written by Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS PODCAST and contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE. New pages of SLIPSTREAM can be found each Saturday at http://www.clockworkcomics.co.uk. Adam Dechanel, another contributor to the SUPERMAN HOMEPAGE, also writes and draws E. O. S. for Clockwork Comics, and new pages are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can join the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST group or page on facebook, and follow the podcast on twitter @supermanpodcast.
SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is a proud member of thefollowing:
– The LEAGUE OF COMIC BOOK PODCASTERS at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league ,
– The COMICS PODCAST NETWORK! – http://www.comicspodcasts.com/,
– The SUPERMAN WEBRING of websites, and
– The SUPERMAN PODCAST NETWORK at http://supermanpodcastnetwork !
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/.
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!