Superman Annual #5!
Download Episode #282!
SUPERMAN ANNUAL 5, Summer 1962, was published on June 14, 1962. it contained 80 pages for the cover price of 25¢. This issue was released the same month as the DC Comics titles which carried the July 1962 cover date, covered in Episode 280. The editor was Mort Weisinger, and the cover was pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by George Klein.
– SUPERMAN’S OTHER LIFE (25 pgs.), written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN 132, October 1959, published on August 6, 1959.
– THE MAN WHO DESTROYED KRYPTON (8 pgs.), originally published in SUPERBOY 67, September 1958, released around July 3, 1958. Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics lists the writer as Otto Binder and the artist as Al Plastino. The Grand Comic Book Database lists Bill Finger as the writer and George Papp as the artist.
– THE INVASION OF KRYPTON (8 pgs.), was originally published in SUPERBOY 83, September 1960, published around July 7, 1960. Mike’s Amazing World Of DC Comics credits the writer as Jerry Siegel, while the Grand Comic Book Database lists the writer as Otto Binder. Both websites agree on the artist, George Papp.
– HOW JIMMY OLSEN FIRST MET SUPERMAN (8 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder, pencilled by Curt Swan and inked by Ray Burnley. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 36, April 1959, released around February 19, 1959, and was covered back in Episode 273.
– THE SUPER MONKEY FROM KRYPTON (9 pgs.), was written by Otto Binder and drawn by George Papp. It was originally published in SUPERBOY 76, October 1959, released around August 20, 1959.
– THE SLEEPING BEAUTY FROM KRYPTON (9 pgs.), written by Bill Finger and drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger. This story was originally published in SUPERMAN 128, April 1959, released around February 5, 1958, and was first covered in Episode 186.
– THE SUPER-TEACHER FROM KRYPTON (12 pgs.), written by Edmond Hamilton and drawn by John Sikela, was originally published in ADVENTURE COMICS 240, September 1957, released around July 25, 1957.
This Annual also listed other stories featuring Krypton:
– THE COURTSHIP ON KRYPTON, ACTION COMICS 149, October 1950, drawn by Al Plastino.
– THE ORIGIN OF SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN 53, July 1948, written by Bill Finger, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye, covered in Episode 62.
– THE BEAST FROM KRYPTON, SUPERMAN 78, September 1952, done by the same creative team as the previous story listed.
– THE PHANTOM SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS 199, December 1954, written by ? Bill Woolfolk ? and drawn by the same art team.
– THE SUPER APE FROM KRYPTON, ACTION COMICS 218, July 1956, written by ? Edmond Hamilton ? and drawn by the same art team.
– THE ORIGINAL SUPERMAN, ACTION 223, December 1956, written by either Edmond Hamilton or Jerry Coleman, and drawn by the same art team.
– THE MAN WHO WAS MIGHTIER THAN SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS 209, October 1955, drawn by the same art team.
– THE DOOM FROM KRYPTON (KRYPTON ON EARTH), ACTION COMICS 246, November 1958, written by Otto Binder and drawn by the same art team, covered in Episode 176.
– THE LOST SECRETS OF KRYPTON, SUPERMAN 74, January 1952, written by Edmond Hamilton and drawn by the same art team.
– THE FORBIDDEN BOX FROM KRYPTON, SHOWCASE 10, September/October 1957, written by Otto Binder and drawn by the same art team, covered in Episode 225.
– THE SUPER ZOO FROM KRYPTON, SUPERBOY 53, December 1956, written by Otto Binder and drawn by John Sikela.
– SUPERBOY’S VOYAGE TO NEW KRYPTON, SUPERBOY 74, July 1959, done by the same creative team as the previous story listed.
– SUPERMAN’S RETURN TO KRYPTON, SUPERMAN 141, November 1960, written by Jerry Siegel, pencilled by Wayne Boring and inked by Stan Kaye, featured in Episode 228.
– THE KING OF KRYPTON (AMNESIAC ROBBERS) ACTION COMICS 25, June 1940, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Paul Cassidy.
– THE SCARLET JUNGLE OF KRYPTON, SUPERBOY 87, March 1961, written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by George Papp.
The Annual also had a glossary of Kryptonian names, a drawing of Krypton’s flag and Superman covers from around the world. Also listed were three possible themes for the next SUPERMAN ANNUAL: imaginary stories, kryptonite or Superman with other superheroes.
ELSEWHERE IN DC COMICS, 29 titles carried the July or July/August 1962 cover date, covered at the end of Episode 280.
Next Episode: SUPERMAN FAMILY COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED SEPTEMBER 1959: SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN 39 & WORLD’S FINEST COMICS 104!
Next Week: SUPERMAN COMIC BOOKS COVER DATED AUGUST 1962: SUPERMAN 155 & ACTION COMICS 291!
The new home for THE SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST is http://thesupermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail to email@example.com.
The theme of this podcast is PLANS IN MOTION, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com/
Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any art shown on this podcast is for entertainment purposes only, and not for profit. I make no claims of ownership of these images, nor do I earn any money from this podcast.
Thanks for listening to the SUPERMAN FAN PODCAST and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman!